-Geodetic address: 41° 51′ 20″ N , 87° 36′ 53″ W
-Political address: Chicago, Illinois, United States, North America
Lower West Side located on the west side of Chicago, Illinois, is one of 77 well-defined Chicago community areas. The area is called Pilsen by Chicago area residents.
Heart of Chicago
Heart of Chicago is a neighborhood located in the southwest corner of the Lower West Side community area and has an Italian restaurant strip on Oakley.
This section needs additional citations for verification.
Please help improve this article by adding reliable references. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed. (November 2009)
Pilsen is a neighborhood made up of the residential sections of the Lower West Side community area of Chicago. In the late 19th century Pilsen was inhabited by Czech immigrants who named the district after Plzeň, the fourth largest city in what is now the Czech Republic. The population also included in smaller numbers other ethnic groups from the Austro-Hungarian Empire including Slovaks, Slovenes, Croats and Austrians, as well as immigrants of Polish and Lithuanian heritage. Many of the immigrants worked in the stockyards and the surrounding factories. As many early 20th Century American urban neighborhoods, however, Pilsen was home to the wealthy as well as the working class and doctors lived next to maids and laborers amongst businessmen with the whole area knitted together based on the ethnicities, mostly of Slavic descent, who were not readily welcome in other areas of the city.
The Czechs had replaced the Germans, who had settled there first with the Irish in the mid 1800s. Although there was an increasing Mexican-American presence in the late 1950s, it was not until 1962-63 when there was a great spurt in the numbers of Mexican-Americans in Pilsen due to the destruction of the neighborhood west of Halsted between Roosevelt and Taylor Streets to create room for the construction of the University of Illinois at Chicago Although this area was predominantly Italian-American, it was also an important entry point for Mexican immigrants for several decades. Latinos became the majority in 1970 when they surpassed the Slavic population. The neighborhood continued to serve as port of entry for immigrants, both legal and undocumented immigrants and mostly of Mexican descent. Many elderly central Europeans, some even without English language skills, also still reside in Pilsen. Pilsen’s Mexican population is increasingly dwarfed by what has become the largest Mexican neighborhood in Chicago, Little Village. Famed author Stuart Dybek hails from Pilsen and explores issues such as ethnic change and acculturation through his short stories in Childhood and Other Neighborhoods and The Coast of Chicago
There is also a former county seat in Poland named Pilsen (Pilzno) from which a number of Polish Chicagoans hail, and in 2004 their organization the ‘Pilsen’ Society of Chicago Klub Pilznian festively celebrated its 80th anniversary .
Many of the new residents to the neighborhood are not Hispanic and it is projected that the neighborhood will continue to become more diversified in the years ahead. Half of Pilsen’s population in 1996 had turned over by 2000.
Development adjacent to Pilsen grew significantly on its northern border over the past decade with new construction as well as restoration of National Historic Register properties such as the 800+ unit South Water Market, an old concrete cold storage warehouse, and the Chicago Housing Authority’s plan for transformation of the ABLA projects. That development has now spilled over into Pilsen proper with the now nearly complete Chantico Loft development, Union Row Townhomes as well as the defunct Centro 18 on 18th Street in East Pilsen. Infill construction of condominiums and single family homes is now in full force on the east side of the neighborhood as Pilsen becomes one of the next major development area for that type of infill construction. Some local advocacy groups have formed urging the neighborhood’s alderman to curtail gentrification to preserve the Mexican-American cultural and demographic dominance. These groups have met with limited success, as many of the neighborhood’s property owners are in favor of redevelopment and increasing property values, as well as increasing the diversity of the area both ethnically and economically. However, Pilsen became a National Historic Register District on February 1, 2006 at the behest of the alderman.
18th Street is an active commercial corridor, with Mexican bakeries, restaurants, and groceries though the principal district for Mexican shopping is 26th Street in Little Village, Chicago’s other formerly majority Pan-Slavic community, which is currently the main area of successful Mexican immigrant commerce. The east side of the neighborhood along Halsted Street is one of Chicago’s largest art districts, and the neighborhood is also home to the National Museum of Mexican Art. St Adalbert’s dominates over the skyline with the opulence typical of churches in the Polish Cathedral style. Pilsen is also famous for its murals. The history of the murals is often misspoken of as a purely Mexican cultural type which is historically and factually inaccurate. The original murals in Pilsen along 16th Street started as a cooperative effort between Slavs and Mexicans when the neighborhood was undergoing change. If one looks closely one finds amongst the latter Mexican images the earlier ones which are decidedly non-Mexican and include storks, scenic European farms, and lipizzaner horses.
Robb Walsh of the Houston Press said that the Mexican restaurants in Pilsen are “unconsciously authentic” to original Mexican cuisine. Rick Bayless, the chef and owner of Frontera Grill in Chicago, said that this is because Mexican-Americans in Chicago do not encounter a substantial Chicano community that tells them how to cook food in the United States, so the immigrants use the same frame of reference that they had in Mexico.
This section needs additional citations for verification.
Please help improve this article by adding reliable references. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed. (April 2009)
Chicago Public Schools operates public schools in Pilsen.
Whittier Dual Language School, a member of the Chicago Public Schools, is located in the Pilsen area.
The Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Chicago operates Cristo Rey Jesuit High School in the Pilsen area and St. Procopius School, a dual language elementary school.
UNO has also opened up a new school called Bartolome De las Casas.
El Hogar del Nino, founded in 1972, serves Pilsen youth with bilingual early education programs and child development programs. (Source: http://elhogardelnino.org/)
The branch of Chicago Public Library in this community area is the Rudy Lozano Branch.
Established in 1898 in Pilsen, Gads Hill Center has been providing a variety youth and adult education programs (i.e. Club Learn, Teen Connection, and New Horizons, among others) and child and family health services (i.e. Children’s Services) to the Pilsen and surrounding community for over a century. Gads Hill Center continues to collaborate with hundreds of local volunteers and dozens of local organizations to provide education and health services to hundreds of youth and adults each year.
The Pink Line ‘L’ stops at 18th Street and at Damen and the Orange Line stops at Halsted and Archer Avenue, just south of Pilsen. Buses run east- and west-bound on Cermak Road and 18th Street, and northeast- and southwest-bound on Blue Island Avenue; while north and south buses run along Western, Damen, Ashland, and Halsted.
Metra’s BNSF Railway Line stops on the east at Halsted and 16th Street, and on the west at Western and 18th Street.
There are bikeways on Blue Island Avenue, 18th, and Halsted Streets.
–Lower West Side Chicago
–Chicago Community Area
In 1907, during an era of major political reform, the West Park Commission began creating its first three neighborhood parks, Dvorak, Eckhart, and Stanford Parks. These were inspired by a revolutionary system of parks which opened in 1905 to provide breathing space and social services to overcrowded immigrant neighborhoods on Chicago’s south side. The need for such facilities was even greater on the west side. Because of this population density, the commissioners could only acquire small pieces of property. Dvorak Park was originally only 3.85 acres in size. In recognition of the area’s large Bohemian population, the West Park Commission named the park for Anton Dvorak (1841-1904), the famous Czech composer.
Jens Jensen, then the West Park Commission’s general superintendent and chief landscape designer, developed the original plan for Dvorak Park. Jensen included all of the major components introduced in the south side neighborhood parks: swimming and wading pools, changing rooms and shower baths, an athletic field, a playground, outdoor gymnasiums, and a fieldhouse. Unlike the south side parks, Jensen’s neighborhood parks included children’s gardens and Prairie-style architecture. Dvorak Park’s fieldhouse and bathhouse were designed by William Carbys Zimmerman, who then served as State Architect.
In 1999, the Chicago Park District expanded the park by acquiring an adjacent parcel of land. The expansion includes a new walkway and soccer fields.